Monday, July 10, 2017

Harboring: Hingham


Harboring takes us to Hingham today.


For today's episode of Harboring, we loaded up the boat and went to the Hingham Maritime Center and the Hingham Shipyard Marina. That's not us, I have no idea how to sail.


Fat guys apply for whatever job entails sitting in that little house, but they never get callback.


"Got my whole crew blowing like a C4"


If you show up with 45 other people looking to do some paddling, they got that covered.


They get superb barrier beach protection from Hull, but Hingham still has a wall up, just in case.


They guy probably wasn't looking for "cute" when he was buying a boat, but he got it anyway.


Hingham is a very colorful harbor, and whoever parks the sailboats should get a small, appreciative check from the Chamber of Commerce.


In the seafood game, time = rot = less money for your catch... so several seafood wholesalers have a small work shack set up pretty much right on 3A. You can get your lobsters up to Boston quicker if you're already on the main road right when you finish loading the truck.

There are many benefits to parking your sailboat a bit offshore, chief among which is "Cranberry County Online photographers can't get too close to your boat."


There two boats look like they're in love, no?

I hate when, just after I lined up a perfectly level shot, some greater being takes the whole harbor and tilts it a bit sideways on me right when I click.


The boat that looks like a Sherwin-Williams color palette worked herself into two or three shots in this article. She may have been adrift.


When this guy parks his very nice boat, he should park it a bit out/away from the other boats, and at a blogger-friendly angle. This was the best of a dozen shots I took.


You never want to be too ironic naming a boat... "Imagine it as a wreck when you're naming it, and then reverse-engineer a better name from there," an old salt once told me. Irony finds you on her own, and you never want to ring the dinner bell for it.


Big Blue


Why just have a dock, I say... 

They'll get it down soon, and it's all uphill from there. I'm not making fun of them, I'm a Boat Punk myself, which is more shameful because I grew up by the sea. Here's a good bit by Louis CK on rookie boaters.

Thanks, Hingham!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Front Door vs Back Door With Waterfront Houses

We are here today to discuss matters of great importance. Specifically... on a beach house or even a lake house, is the front door of...