Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Driving Around: West Island/Sconticut Neck



We plowed through the West Island/Sconticut Neck part of Fairhaven recently, seeing what there was to see.

I immediately fell for this lookout tower. It wasn't made in Pisa, Our photographer (me) is twisted. It's a genetic defect, I've stopped trying to deal with it. Know that the picture of the Hoppy's Landing lighthouse later in the article took me 10 tries to get it just that straight.

The lookout tower was made in 1943. The Nazis were sinking a ship a week, and the Army put trained spotters up in these towers to search for wolf packs. They kept soldiers based here, and they'd work in shifts. The tower was manned constantly through the war. It was kept active after to deal with Soviet threats.

Now, it serves all mankind as a really cool structure that I may have to break into and film a hurricane from.


I took a few cracks at these boats, too. A great painter can create a work of art that looks like the real thing. A bad photographer can take something real and make it look like someone painted it.



There are some very nice houses in this part of Fairhaven, but I be lovin' this little stucco job.



As we noted in our earlier harbor-visit articles, the boats will be a bit sparse until the summer people come around.


They welcome all safe boaters, but the lighthouse-sign-painting-guy must be on a bad list somewhere in town.




I wonder if this guy is expecting some coastal flooding in the future? He's more than 100 yards inland, too. Duxbury makes all residents of the beach area rebuild on stilts, maybe this guy has the same directive.

Does that count as a two-story house?



It wasn't all the hoppin' at Hoppy's Landing, but that's never a bad thing when you have pictures to take. Hoppy does have a cool looking place, although his lighthouse makes me think 50% NASA and 50% dildo.



One story house, with an observation tower. I like this guy, and I've never met him. That tower is sweeeeeeeeeeet.



There was a persistent east wind, and we went down to West Island hoping for some stormy waves. The angriest sea we got was the turbulent water working this marina.



I wasn't joking about the twisted photographer. If I moved to Pisa, there would suddenly emerge a stream of very straight Pisa Tower pictures.



I drive around the Massachusetts coast a lot, and nautical towns tend to have nautical front yards. The only guy I saw in Fairhaven who could beat this guy was...


... a different part of the same yard!


I drove through some Lake Michigan sized puddles to get down Edgewater Lane, but the views were worth it.


I do more drive-by shooting than a Crip.



A better photographer than I should go to this same spot and wait for that same fishing boat... my skills don't do it justice.


I suppose that someone manufactures new fishing boats, but the old ones are way better in my book. I don't have to go out in them, keep in mind...




I love this house, which appears to be equal parts lighthouse, castle, treehouse, and cool. You expect to see a yuppie Hobbit emerge from it or something.




All of the best clamshell paths start small.



You can usually tell the historic flooding heights by how high the locals jack up the cottage.


God bless America, Fairhaven, West Island and Hoppy's Landing.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Front Door vs Back Door With Waterfront Houses

We are here today to discuss matters of great importance. Specifically... on a beach house or even a lake house, is the front door of...