Thursday, August 10, 2017

Harboring: Hull


It's a Hull of a day for our Harboring series!

Hull, home to Nantasket Beach and the former Paragon Park, juts out into the sea. It's very much like Duxbury, geologically or whatever term I should use there.

Hull was named for Kingston-on-Hull, England. Captain Issac Hull, who would be a pretty cool guy to name a town after, came to be about 150 years after Hull was settled. Captain Hull had a set of balls just like these, and he is famed for leading the Constitution against the British ship Guerriere and taking home the W. Lots of towns are indeed named after him, but not this Hull.


"Nantasket" means either "low tide place" or "at the strait" in Native American. The "Hull" part of Kingston-upon-Hull refers to the River Hull back in the jolly old E.

Speaking of hulls, they need to get this one in the water. I was here in late July, for the love of Mary.

Several staff members have noted that the boat only has to be red to become one of my favorites and to get a place in our article.

This looks suspiciously like one of those Redneck Superman memes where some guy in Alabama turns a sofa into a boat.

Other than New Bedford and, amazingly Sandwich... it's a bit strange to see a building with more than two stories turn up in our Harboring series.

Amazingly, we found that the One Foot Of Water Dock was unoccupied.

Chains look artsy when better photographers are sizing up the shot, but I do what I can for you people.

That is "A Street," rather than a play on the "I'm not a fast Captain, I'm not a slow Captain, I'm a half-fast Captain" joke.

I turned up in Hull on a raw and windy day, hence the inactivity on the docks.

Cutest boat in the harbor.

We're twenty articles into our Harboring series, and I still go "Ooooh, boat stuff, let's get a pic!"

Hey! You were already in this article!

Hull's boatyards are sheltered by Hull itself, I didn't see one boat on the ocean side of town.

God tilted the Earth on me right when I was lining up my cute Harbormaster shack photo.

It's odd to take a picture of a harbor and have the wind-powered thing in it not be a sailboat.

A quick Nantasket shot... hey, we end up where we end up, folks.

Note the Fisherman's Cooler tied to the back of the boat.

I may be disoriented, but I think that's World's End in the background.
If they made that boat cover go all the way to the top in a point, this boat would look like a floating DUNCE cap or a drowning KKK guy.



The kayak rental business slows on cold, raw days.

Hull, which may have cleaned up since my late July arrival, had the red seaweed problem that other Irish Riviera beaches had.

Hull needs just a few more of these to make a Newton's cradle. Named after English 17th century scientist Isaac Newton, a Newton's Cradle is a device that demonstrates conservation of momentum and energy using a series of swinging spheres.

The downside of having children scrawl the magazine name into the sand is that sometimes they put an extra N in "Cranberry."

1 comment:

Front Door vs Back Door With Waterfront Houses

We are here today to discuss matters of great importance. Specifically... on a beach house or even a lake house, is the front door of...