Monday, May 8, 2017

Harboring: Duxbury

We've been visiting various harbors lately, and yesterday was Duxbury's turn.


It was a stormy and choppy day, not ideal for boating or photography... especially if you're shooting with a phone, and just one little drop on the lens can greatly degrade the hack-photography that was already going on.



I've actually owned a house with greater ocean-safety concerns than this house... in Duxbury, too. While this house is indeed floating, it doesn't have waves breaking on it or water rushing into it. I've had that over in the Gurnet Road area, in most every bad nor'easter since 1970 or so. I have since moved to a house on a hill.

It's a bit early in the boating season, so we have more homes and less boats in this article. The true players wait for a bit later in the warm season to get their boats in the water. I go through Duxbury a lot, so you can count on some good look-at-the-rich-guy-boat articles once summer is summering.


You only catch the most gangsta of lobsters if you set the traps on the dock and wait for your quarry to crawl up for a snack. On the plus side, you don't waste much gas and there is little wear-n-tear on the boat.


Duxbury representin' hard with the green dragon. You can't take this boat out on Loch Ness, as Nessie may think you're snatching up one of her kids. She reacts poorly in those scenarios.


The Harbormaster should have a bigger boat, as Chief Brody used to say.




It would be a more patriotic shot if one of those white boats had been painted red,


The 2017 Oscar for Most Nautical Doorway goes to...



Windy, raw days suck for you and I... but they are a boon for sailors, who need wind and who are most likely going to end up wet anyhow.


Obligatory rich person house shot...




I wasn't kidding about the boats not being in yet this early in the season,



Box o' Buoys... 



This is technically a cove, but it works in the Harboring article series.



Those dock ladders look odd without the integral-to-the-process boat to lower yourself into.





Every time that I drive by the Bluefish River Bridge as an adult, I'm amazed that I didn't paralyze myself as a kid diving off of it.


"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Front Door vs Back Door With Waterfront Houses

We are here today to discuss matters of great importance. Specifically... on a beach house or even a lake house, is the front door of...